Outreach Month: January 2016
Topic: Best Glide Speed and Distance (GAJSC SCF-SE-49)
The FAA and industry will conduct a public education campaign on the benefits of knowledge and training in determining and applying best glide speed in forced landings.
The GAJSC has determined that a significant number of general aviation fatalities could be avoided if pilots were better informed and trained in determining and flying their aircraft at the best glide speed while maneuvering to complete a forced landing.
- Discuss the scope and safety benefits of flying the airplane at best glide speed while maneuvering to a forced landing runway or off airport landing area.
- Acquaint pilots with available resources.
- Encourage pilots to maintain proficiency through frequent forced landing practice.
- Encourage pilots to participate in the WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program.
- General Aviation Power Point
- Available on the National FAASTeam Share Point site under Approved Presentations.
- A-H-8083-3A Airplane Flying Handbook
- FAASafety Team WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program