Down Arrow
Welcome Guest
FAASTeam Notice
Type: Airworthiness
Notice Date: Friday, September 16, 2011
Notice Number: NOTC3219
External Loads Permit Requirements
This notice expired on
Saturday, December 31, 2011

During the ongoing Hunter Surveillance Program here in Alaska it was found that there is a misconception among some Pilots operating under Part 91 as to when an External Load Permit is required. Several pilots did not realize that they need this Permit to carry Moose or Caribou horns, Canoes, Plywood and other loads on the out side of the aircraft. The carriage of such loads is a Major alteration of the aircraft and they need a Restricted Category Airworthiness certificate (External Load Permit) issued to operate the aircraft legally. The required permit may be obtained from the local FAA FSDO before the pilots planned departure date into the field where an external load flight is made. Also, if the aircraft is carrying an external load such as horns, then the carrying of passengers is not allowed. Since this procedure is germane to the state of Alaska only, any Alaska FAA FSDO can handle your request. However; you need to make an appointment, because operation limitations need to be Issued as well as anFAA Form 337 filled out and a Restricted Category Airworthinesscertificate must be issued. All of this takes some time for an Aviation Safety Inspector (ASI)to issue to the applicant. The ASI will also explain the safety concerns of attaching items to the aircraft and evaluation procedures the pilot will need to complete before he or she starts flying full time with external loads.

Important Note : External load permit is not transferable with the aircraft during ownership changes. Also, the following items have been evaluated and are not considered to be major alteration as defined by FAR 1.1. Snow shoes cross country skis, hunting rifle/scabbard, backpack frame and game tracking antenna. There are some exceptions to this requirement for certain aircraft, please contact your local FSDO for details.