(NOTE: You must purchase either the VFR Communications DVD, online course, or iOS app from Sporty’s before you can use this Learning Center course.)
In this program we will explore what defines good radio communication. You will join a number VFR pilots as they communicate in the world of general aviation. You will see and hear pilots demonstrating proper communication techniques at various airports in a variety of flying situations.
This program helps the pilot review and consider the following:
• How to communicate clearly and avoid misunderstanding by following the rule of the 4 "Ws" and using the phonetic alphabet.
• The difference between UNICOM and CTAF frequencies, and when to use each.
• The proper way to announce your intentions for departing and arriving at a non-towered airport.
• How to converse with ATC in in Class B, C, & D airspace environments.
• Using receive-only VORs to communicate with FSS.
• Utilizing automated weather information at certain airports.
• Review helpful communication for the en route portion of a flight.
After completion of this course material you will be asked to return here to complete the course quiz to receive the appropriate WINGS - Pilot Proficiency Program credit.